Wednesday, 19 July 2017

Island View

Differences Between LSDs and Rural Communities 

Unincorporated area where local services are provided by DELG
Rural Communities are a body corporate, with local control (similar to a city, town or village)
May have an advisory committee of three to five members
Council (mayor and councilors) elected during the quadrennial municipal elections (every 4 years) All councilors are elected by ward and/or at large
Responsibilities:   None
Responsible for the provision of the services for which the community chooses to administer.  All other services will be carried out by DELG until such time that the rural community chooses to take on the service by resolution of council.
Influence on Decision Making: LSDs may have an advisory committee to advise the Minister of DELG.
Decisions made by elected Mayor and Council by resolution or by-law during a public meeting that is open to community members.
Local corporate powers:   None
Council appoints clerk/treasurer and auditor.  RC may own land, buildings and equipment.
By-law making powers:   None
RC can make by-laws for such things as:
Council meeting procedures
           Rural plan/zoning, subdivisions, buildings
           Noise causing public nuisance
           Outdoor concerts
           Dangerous or unsightly premises
Financial powers:   None – All held with the Minister of DELG and the LSM
Adoption of annual operating budget
Sets local property tax rates
Power to borrow for capital projects
Access to Federal and Provincial Programs
Property tax billing, assessment and collection:                                                         DOF (Billing and Collection)
SNB (Assessment & Inspection)
DOF (Billing and Collection)
SNB (Assessment & Inspection)
Administrative services: DELG & LSM
RC Council & Staff for services taken on
Rural Planning: (Rural plan, zoning, subdivisions, buildings) DELG via RSC 11
RSC 11: Council is decision-maker
Required to develop land use plan/by-law within 2 years of incorporation
EMO: Administered by DELG
Administered by the RC Council & Staff
Noise/nuisance: RCMP via DELG
RCMP via RC Council & Staff
Fire: Various departments via DELG
Various departments via DELG
Policing: RCMP via DELG
RCMP via RC Council & Staff
Roads: DTI
Dog/Animal control: SPCA via DELG
SPCA via RC Council & Staff
Regulating and licensing of signage: DTI/ELG
The RC could implement restriction within a by-law.
Recreation and Culture: DELG/LSM
The RC could adopt bylaws to regulate, prescribe fees to be charged for use and the participation in programs. The RC could also enter into a service agreement
 with another RC or another Municipality for access to an arena or recreation centre.

This is Table 2 of YRC Project Preliminary Feasibility Study Report which is available at

No comments: